Thursday, October 20, 2011

Bringing Fall to Maui

I love living on Maui but when October rolls around I get very homesick. This Colorado girls misses the change of seasons, leaves falling to the ground and crisp air hitting my face. I love it all. Have you ever seen that movie Ground Hog Day? The one with Bill Murray. He gets stuck in a town and wakes up to the same thing everyday. Well that sums up the weather in Maui. Its pretty much the same weather everyday. Beautiful! I am not complaining. I love it. I just get homesick this time of year. So since the outside really isn't fall I bring "fall" inside. Its always a challenge in the fall and winter to decorate my home cause I have more of a beach cottage feel in my house. Pine cones and corn husk really don't mesh well with my beach theme if you know what I mean. But I love to take risk and love a challenge. This year I had a lot of fun! I brought alot of bright orange in. It really goes good with all the blue in my home and its a nice combo.




This is a pallet shelf my husband and sweet kids made me for mothers day. One night laying in bed I showed my husband a picture I found at amandacarverdesigns.com . Amanda made a shelf out of a pallet. I loved it! Such a brilliant idea. She kept hers the original color but my family painted mine white to match are house. They are already little designers. I stumbled upon the wreath at the36thavenue.com and FELL IN LOVE! So I tried to recreate it. I was pleased with the way it turned out. I found 99 cent florescent colored pumpkins at walmart and spray painted them with chalk board paint. My daughter made the orange button Y this past weekend ( burlap, old frame, glue gun, buttons and a staple gun). I though she did a fantastic job. The hay looking things are actually dried up sugar cane. I was driving down the road by my house the other day and thought it looked like hay. So I stopped and cut some down. I couldn't find any hay looking things for a reasonable price so had to improvise. I was so happy the way it turned out. I just love it.


Here's an up close picture of the wreath. A whole tutorial on how to make it is on their website. These are the very first fabric rosettes I have ever made. They are not the best and don't look to close or you will see lots of glue residue:). They were really fun and easy once you get the hang of it. I don't think I am there yet but with some practice one day.



No comments:

Post a Comment